Spring Clean your Beauty Routine
Time to Spring Clean your Beauty Routine
Three products to switch to cleaner alternatives
Looking to switch to clean and natural? Where do you begin? That is always the #1 question we get. In a world where there are so many options and misinformation it can be overwhelming. I was once like you. I was so fed up with the false marketing in stores and salons that I knew I could help so many with this same problem. That's why I opened BellaBar. I wanted to share actual green solutions and bring awareness to greenwashing, which by definition means “to make people believe that your company is doing more to protect the environment than it really is.”. We believe beauty products should never compromise your health, and natural, safe beauty shouldn’t mean sacrificed results. We’re here to show you how to make the switch.
Our top 3 products to switch and why?
Body moisturizers, shampoos and sunscreens are three things in almost everyone’s daily routine and you may not know this, but many of these conventional products can contain harsh or even harmful ingredients. Certain ingredients like artificial fragrance, harsh preservatives and synthetic dyes can lead to skin sensitivity, contact dermatitis and can even be absorbed by the skin and stored in our bodies.
Our skin is our largest organ and it's also very effective at absorbing products. Most conventional body lotions contain artificial fragrances, which can over a long period of use cause skin sensitivities and in some allergic reactions. Fragrance is the biggest worry as they can “secretly" contain thousands of other ingredients that don’t need to be legally disclosed by the company due it being a “trade secret” (FPLA, section 1454(c)(3)).” This loophole allows companies to hide the ingredients which can be dozens if not hundreds of chemicals to create a single fragrance. We recommend passing on any product with the word “fragrance” in their ingredient deck as it can host allergens, respiratory irritants, carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, neurotoxic chemicals, or environmental toxicants that can hide under the word “fragrance.” If you are looking to clean up your body moisturizer, we have a few great suggestions that contain no synthetic fragrance and are absolutely lovely.
- Sparitual Jasmine Tuberose Body Cream - contains a thicker shea butter base for dry and rough skin.
- The Body Deli Citron Vanilla Lotion - medium consistency, contains coconut water, kale and coconut oil. Perfect for everyday use.
- LomiLomi Body Oil - the lightest consistency, perfect for warmer days or when your skin needs a soft, hydrated glow.
You may be wondering why you need to switch up your shampoo, since it comes mostly in contact with the hair and very little with the skin, but here’s why. Average shampoos contain some of the worst ingredients such as sulfates, phthalates, formaldehyde, parabens, synthetic dyes and fragrances. The warm steamy air in our showers leaves our skin more open and to absorbing these ingredients and our lungs more susceptible to breathing them in. SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) is the main ingredient that gives conventional shampoos their lather and bubbles, it can strip away your natural hair oils and even strip your natural or dyed hair color. SLS is often contaminated in production by a toxic compound known as 1,4 dioxane, which is “possibly carcinogenic to humans” - as it’s linked to negative effects in the kidneys, liver, and central nervous system. If you have anything on your shelf with SLS, now is the time to toss it.
. We have a favorite brand that we carry in store and online that creates much cleaner hair care, for worry-free showers.
- EVOLVh Ultra Shine Shampoo - light, hydrating, works great to leave hair silky soft
- EVOLVh Curl
It’s time to consider ditching your traditional chemical sunscreens. There are two classifications of sunscreens, chemical and physical. A chemical sunscreen usually leaves no white cast and can contain chemicals such as oxybenzone or octinoxate. A physical sunscreen may leave more of a white hue on the skin, and usually contains zinc or something similar. Most conventional sunscreens are chemical sunscreens. There are two reasons we suggest choosing a physical sunscreen over a chemical one. The first is that, based on a recent FDA report, the chemicals are absorbed into the body and can stay in the body for several days after use. There have even been some claims that certain chemical UV filters can cause hormonal imbalances. The second reason is that these chemicals have been found to have a large negative impact on marine ecosystems. The state of Hawaii has already introduced a bill to ban residents and visitors from using these types of sunscreens. Instead of ditching sunscreen altogether try one of our favorite physical sunscreens.
- Suntegrity 5-in-1 Tinted Moisturizer - this cream offers makeup, skincare and spf all-in-one! This tinted sunscreen has no chemical UV filters and uses zinc oxide and astaxanthin to naturally protect your skin. Leaves a dewy, natural and youthful appearance to the skin. Rated 1 by EWG
- Prefer a day cream with SPF? This Josh Rosebrook is award winning for a reason. Delivering a combination of potent natural plant oils and mineral-based spf, this dual action day cream offers a luxurious and lightweight matte finish, without a white cast. Works perfectly as a primer, prepping, and smoothing skin before makeup or alone for daily use. Harper’s Bazaar 2020 Anti-Aging Award Winner!